Dr. Hunt, a native of North Carolina, was born July 17, 1952, in Lumberton. He received his education from Gardner-Webb College and the Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. Dr. Hunt has also received honorary doctorates from Emmanuel Baptist University, Covington Theological Seminary, and Tennessee Temple University. He has previously pastored churches in Gaffney, SC; Wake Forest, NC; and Wilmington, NC.
He is the senior pastor of First Baptist Church of Woodstock, GA. His dynamic and evangelistic messages have made him a very sought after speaker worldwide. Since coming to First Baptist Church in 1987, the church has experienced explosive growth. Under Dr. Hunt’s leadership, the church has grown from 250 in Sunday School in 1986 to over 8,000+ currently. In 1996, Dr. Hunt was elected the President of the Pastors’ Conference of the Southern Baptist Convention, and was elected the President of the Southern Baptist Convention in 2008.
Dr. Hunt is married to Janet Allen Hunt of Wilmington, North Carolina. They have two daughters: Deanna Hunt Carswell and Hollie Hunt Hixson. They also have three granddaughters: Hope Savannah Hixson, Addie Lee Hixson, Katie Hunter Carswell and one grandson, Carson John Carswell.
* Gardner-Webb College, Boiling Springs, North Carolina: BA Degree-Religion, 1979.
* Voted ministerial student of the year in 1979.
* Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, Wake Forest, North Carolina: Master of Divinity Degree, 1981.
* The Chair of Church Growth at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary was named in Dr. Hunt’s honor on March 11, 1997.
* Dr. Hunt received an honorary Doctor of Divinity from Emmanuel Baptist University of Sharpsburg, Georgia, and also Doctor of Sacred Laws and Letters from Covington Theological Seminary. He also received an honorary Doctor of Divinity at Tennessee Temple University
* Lavonia Baptist Church, Mooresboro, North Carolina: July 1976-August 1979, while attending Gardner-Webb College.
* Falls Baptist Church, Wake Forest, North Carolina, while attending Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. Led the state of North Carolina in Sunday School growth in 1980 while pastoring and attending seminary.
* Longleaf Baptist Church, Wilmington, North Carolina: May, 1981 – December 1, 1986. Led the state of North Carolina in baptisms in 1983, 1984, and 1985.
* Became pastor of First Baptist Church of Woodstock, Georgia, December, 1986. During the year of 1987, Pastor Hunt’s first year, 3l8 people were baptized, with additions by letter or statement of over 268.
* Sunday School attendance has increased from an average of 275 in 1986 to presently over 5500 (March, 2008). Church membership has increased from 1,027, in 1986, to presently over 16,800 (March, 2008), and are averaging 6800 in attendance. We are currently in our 7500 seat worship center with two morning services and three Sunday schools to accommodate the large attendance. Our yearly giving is in excess of .5 million and our total mission giving is over 3.5 million. May God be praised for His immeasurable blessings!
* New 7500 theater seat sanctuary completed in August, 2004
* Over 135 missionaries sent out since 1987
* Over 78 mission church starts since 1987
Phone Number: 770-592-8127
Country: United States
Association: Southern Baptist